1-800-222-1222

We had another adventure this weekend that I am ashamed to blog about.  But I’m going to tell you about it anyway because you can learn from our mistake.

Saturday night, we were house sitting at the Allen’s.  We put Isaac to bed on a mattress on the floor in the master bedroom.  Sometime after we put him to bed, he got up and went into the bathroom.  We think he stood on our suitcase to reach Randall’s Restless Leg Syndrome (yes it’s a real syndrome) pills.  He unscrewed the medicine bottle and ate around 10 one milligram pills of Clonazepem.  Randall takes one (or half) of these pills a night and they act like Valium and knock him out.

Maybe 30-45 minutes later, Randall went in there to take his medicine (Isaac was sleeping soundly in bed) and noticed that the bottle was open.  The next thirty minutes were the scariest minutes of my life. Ashley Allen was there to bravely talk to the 911 operator as we tried to arouse Isaac.  Isaac woke up pretty quickly and we tried to keep him awake and entertained until the ambulance got there. 

1020072336a
They checked all his vitals and gave us a ride to St. John’s.  The doctor there said that this amount of medicine has been tolerated by pede’s before.  They gave him some liquid charcoal (mixed with chocolate milk) to absorb any leftover medicine and told us we needed to watch his vitals for four hours but that he would be fine.

Not much changed in the next four hours, Isaac was pretty loopy and couldn’t support himself.  He was really funny at first, saying, "Whoa!" a lot as his head spinned.  But then he just turned into an angry drunk.  Yesterday, he still couldn’t walk for most of the day and he even got really violent with us.  After a nap and a trip to the farm, he seemed to be acting a little better. 

Today he’s running and jumping and in a much better mood, but he’s still not totally here.  His face has a glazed over look and he is occasionally spinning with the room…

The doctor says that he’ll be back to normal in about 48 hours.  The hours can’t pass quick enough!

Here’s what you need to learn from our experience. 

1. Your kid is smarter than you think he is.  Even if he can’t unscrew lids yet, he’s going to learn someday.  Don’t let him learn on your medicine bottles.

2. Poison proof your house. No matter how much your kid is or isn’t interested in chemicals and small bottles, put them out of his reach.

3. If you think your kid has been poisoned, call Poison Control first (1-800-222-1222).  Every second may count and Poison Control may be able to tell you how to reduce the risk of poisoning at home before the EMT gets to your house.  When we got to the hospital, they still had to call Poison Control, to find out what to do.

4.  You can even keep a bottle of ipecac (to induce vomiting) or liquid charcoal (to absorb toxins) in your home just in case you suspect a poisoning.

It’s always better to be safe than sorry.  You know that.  Let this be a reminder. I would not wish this "adventure" on my worst enemy.

Thanks for all the calls and prayers, friends!

2 thoughts on “1-800-222-1222”

  1. Oooohhhhh Man!
    I’m so SO sorry. I heard about it from Grandpa. How terrible and frightening that must have been! I’m glad he is ok.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *